Re: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender (fwd)

Author: Tom
To: Keith McCallion
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender (fwd)

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Keith McCallion wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Tom wrote:
>
> > Well, non-zero exit codes are supposed to indicate failure. If it isn't
> > a failure, why is it returning a non-zero exit code?
>
> Some programs use it to indicate status of the request: It was queued, it
> was sent, etc.

If such program are going to be called as a delivery transport, you
might want to put a wrapper around them to make sure error handling works.

> > You can ignore all exit codes if you like. There is pipe transport
> > option to do this. I'd tell you what it is, but that would deprive you of
> > the joy of reading the manual yourself.
>
> I've read the manual, and I've found the two options, return_output and
> return_fail_output -- setting them to false does not work.

How about "ignore_status"? You shouldn't set either return_output and
return_fail_output.

exit code != output. The output is what the program writes to standard
out. The exit code is whatever the program called exit() with. Non-zero
exit codes indicate failure.

> The actual error I showed was an internal exim error, but I still have
> Hylafax writting a message to stdout that exim insists on sending back to
> the orginal sender. I have tried to write a wrapper and redirect stdio to
> /dev/null, but it still returns the message.

The exit code is probably still getting return. Also, the output could
be going to stderr, so you may need to redirect that too.