Re: MX/UUCP/config

Author: Stuart Lynne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: MX/UUCP/config
In article <m0xKx8p-000BruC@???>,
Jim Gottlieb <jimmy@???> wrote:

>lookuphost:
> driver = lookuphost,
> self = fail_soft,
> transport = remote_smtp;
>
>but that didn't take care of all cases. I think I need another router
>that deals with hosts on the local network (like forcepaths in smail),
>that can then route doing a simple non-MX lookup, but I'm not sure how
>to set this up. Something to do with those smtp driver options, but
>where do I specify those? There is no driver configuration section.
>Do I do it in the routers or the transports or ??? Specifically, I
>think I need to define a transport using gethostbyname=true, but
>wherever I try specifying this, I get an error. Where does this go?

The following router section has the benefit of making DNS the only
place that needs to be configured.

If a domain has an MX pointing to somewhere else the
lookuphost entry will send it there. If the lowest MX
points to the local host the self entry will deliver it
using the uux_domain transport.

This eliminates the pesky configuration file. And means that
two years from now when they go somewhere else their mail will
work properly as soon as they change the MX record. You won't
have to change anything.

# This router routes to remote hosts over SMTP using a DNS lookup with
# default options.
#
# The self option tells exim to continue looking at additional
# routers if the MX for a domain points at the local host.
#

lookuphost:
driver = lookuphost,
self = fail_soft,
transport = smtp;

#
# By default, anything that is a local MX will get matched here.
# Currently this assumes that all domains that are not explicitly
# handled elsewhere are uucp hosts
#
self:
driver = lookuphost,
self = send,
transport = uux_domain;

>I need to add them all to local_domains? How do I map these domains to
>UUCP hosts? I guess I need to write some kind of pipe transport. I

I map domains to uucp hosts by requiring them the uucp host name to
be the same as the domain.

>assume some people have done this already, so I would appreciate seeing
>what others have done. In the archives I saw a transport that did
>this, but used:
>
>command = "/usr/bin/uux - -r ${domain}!rmail ${local_part}@${domain}",
>
>This seems to make the big assumption that the first part of the FQDN
>will be the same as the UUCP host name, no? I need to be able to map
>these a la the paths file (i.e. user@??? needs to go to
>pomona!user or even zygot!pomona!user where zygot is my local UUCP
>gateway machine and can be reached by SMTP).

Bang!paths are evil. I was postmaster and sys-admin for a moderately
large UUCP hub for almost a decade, from 1986 to 1996. We totally
eliminated paths files around about 1990 or 1991. Stay with FQDN's
and domain style addresses. You are not doing yourself or your
customers a favour if you try and support bang!Paths.

The other fall out from the old smail config's was the hold over use
of the domainlist style lookup files to configure what we did with
each host. These work ok except that they require editing both at
the time you install the customer AND when they leave. The problem
is that when they leave the hardly ever phone to tell you (well
accounting types got called by their accounting types but the
message doesn't get to the sysadmins...) and any of their mail that
ends up on your server continues to get routed to uucp and never
picked up. Then after a few months you get a call from some sys-admin
you never heard of and he says he has users that can't get mail but
only if it is sent by one of your users. So you end up tracking things
down and eventually find that they are in a config file etc.

So now I try and set things up so that we only get to use local
config after falling through the SMTP lookuphost via fail_soft. If
they move and change MX then we happily punt their mail to their
new location.

--
Stuart Lynne <sl@???>      604-933-1000      <http://www.poste.com>
PGP Fingerprint: 28 E2 A0 15 99 62 9A 00  88 EC A3 EE 2D 1C 15 68