Re: MX/UUCP/config

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Jim Gottlieb
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: MX/UUCP/config
jimmy@??? said:
} How do I deal with all the domains that I MX for and then UUCP to? Do
} I need to add them all to local_domains?

Well I do actually put them all in local_domains. That, however, is
because it makes it a little easier to play some evil tricks like having
only one box among a cluster handle UUCP and the others smarthost UUCP
mail across to the uucp handler.

I also only ever use BSMTP over UUCP (bang paths are not handled at all by
my config).

} How do I map these domains
} to UUCP hosts?

Typically a domain list router. I use a smartuser director - you can do
*anything* with a convoluted enough db lookup in a smartuser.

} I guess I need to write some kind of pipe transport.
} I assume some people have done this already, so I would appreciate
} seeing what others have done. In the archives I saw a transport that
} did this, but used:

} command = "/usr/bin/uux - -r ${domain}!rmail ${local_part}@${domain}",

} This seems to make the big assumption that the first part of the FQDN
} will be the same as the UUCP host name, no? I need to be able to map
} these a la the paths file (i.e. user@??? needs to go to
} pomona!user or even zygot!pomona!user where zygot is my local UUCP
} gateway machine and can be reached by SMTP).

My transport looks like this:-
uucp_transport:
  driver = pipe;
  batch = domain,
  bsmtp = domain,
  command = "/usr/bin/uux --stdin --nouucico --requestor \
    '${if eq{$sender_address}{}{mailer-daemon}{$sender_address}}' \
    $domain!rsmtp"
  log_output,
  prefix = "",
  suffix = "",
  no_retry_use_local_part,
  return_fail_output,
  user = exim

If you don't have the hack on the sender address then bounce messages
break the UUCP spool files which can't handle an empty field.

I do all my domain<->system mapping in the UUCP sys file.

This probably doesn't help you much - my system was designed for BSMTP
over UUCP and neevr intended to integrate with an existing UUCP system.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 224 0003 ]