Re: MX/UUCP/config

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jim Gottlieb
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: MX/UUCP/config
On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Jim Gottlieb wrote:

> The manual says that for configuration options "If the option name is
> specified on its own, the switch is turned on", but when I try that:
> relay_domains           # Don't relay to/from arbitrary domains
> I get
> "=" expected after relay_domains in line 114

That comment applies to boolean options, i.e. those that are just
on/off. "Relay_domains" is an option that takes a value consisting of a
list of domains that you are prepared to relay to.

> How do I deal with MXs pointing to the local host? I see the "self"
> variable, and I tried adding it as follows:

In what way? MXs for your local domains should point to your local host
and such addresses will get handled by the directors.

If you are relaying for some other host, then you probably need to set
up a domainlist router to specify where you want such messages sent.
Have a look at the examples for the domainlist router.

> I think I need another router
> that deals with hosts on the local network (like forcepaths in smail),
> that can then route doing a simple non-MX lookup, but I'm not sure how
> to set this up.

Exactly. Use a domainlist router.

> think I need to define a transport using gethostbyname=true, but
> wherever I try specifying this, I get an error. Where does this go?

Finding hosts is the job of routers. Tranports just do transporting. The
domainlist router has options for lookup up by name or via DNS.

> How do I deal with all the domains that I MX for and then UUCP to?

I hope someone who is doing that will respond. I'm not a UUCP person,
I'm afraid.

> command = "/usr/bin/uux - -r ${domain}!rmail ${local_part}@${domain}",
>
> This seems to make the big assumption that the first part of the FQDN
> will be the same as the UUCP host name, no?

You could replace "${domain}" with "${lookup{$domain} whatever" to look up
something in a file.

> Sorry, but I'm just a bit overwhelmed at this point, trying to convert
> 9 years of smail configurations into exim, and with no examples. Any
> help would be appreciated.

Sorry about the lack of examples, but I'm afraid nobody has yet found
the time to build up a body of "cookbook" cases. If the pace of code
development ever slows down I might get to it...

Hope this helps,
Philip