Re: Is there a way to not require reverse IP resolution?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dan Birchall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Is there a way to not require reverse IP resolution?
On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Dan Birchall wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to "switch off" the requirement that
> remote SMTP servers have IP addresses which reverse-resolve,
> preferably on a per-address or per-network basis.

If you do not use any of Exim's host-checking facilities in such a way
that it needs to do a reverse-lookup, then it will not do one. Thus
either

(a) Do not have any checking by host at all (do it all by net).

(b) Do host checking by IP address or by FQDN so that Exim can do a
forward lookup when it starts up.

The next release of Exim will have an option to treat unresolvable
lookups the opposite way to the default, i.e. it will accept the calls.