Re: Spam Filter

Author: Tom
To: Jason Kohles
CC: Tim Patterson, exim-users
Subject: Re: Spam Filter

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Jason Kohles wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Tim Patterson wrote:
>
> > 1) Using the header below , how would I reject, using an exim_filter,
> > based on the header area word X-Advertisement:
> >
> I didnt get this spam, probably because my system filter contains:
> if $h_x-advertisement contains "hitman" then
>    seen finish
> endif

This isn't quite right. You want:

if ${def:$h_x-advertisement} then
seen finish
endif

This way, any mail with an X-Advertisment header is tossed, regardless
of the content.

Pretty much all e-mail from IEMMC affiliates have such a header, but
most do not mention www.hitman.com in X-Advertisement at all.

A better tatic is add them to these well known sites to the
sender_net_reject. Must faster. A mail server I work with turns away
over 900 unwanted e-mail from these sites a day. Refusing such e-mail is
much better than accepting it, then dropping it, because it makes their
mail server work harder.

I believe the IEMMC is compiling a list of domains which refuse SMTP
connections from their servers, so they can strip them out. Before you
rejoice, they are only doing this, so their mail servers don't waste time
on those sites, when they could be sending spam to unprotected sites. I
think the IEMMC has a mailing list for sale of known "unblocked" sites,
and they charge a lot more for it.

Tom