Re: Some simple questions...I think

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Some simple questions...I think
On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, John Horne wrote:

> I've had a bit of a bash at the following problems but seem to be getting
> nowhere - reading the manual again may help, but I thought I'd ask you lot
> first. Lazy I know :-) We are running Exim 1.70.

Well, I have had to read my own manual to answer this - my brain can't
hold it all any more.

> 1) I'm trying to allow the expn command for the localhost only. I've tried
> setting "smtp_expn_host = @", and "smtp_expn_host = "@:localhost", and
> similarly with the domain name tagged on, but when I telnet to the system
> (from itself) it states that EXPN is not available. If I put the full system
> name in ("argus.plymouth.ac.uk") then it works. What gives?

smtp_expn_hosts = localhost

works for me when I telnet to 127.0.0.1. This of course happens because
looking up "localhost" on my machine gives back the address 127.0.0.1.
Telnetting to the machine's real IP address won't do that. There does
seem to be a possible problem with "@"; I will investigate (but not just
now - other things happening) and fix the problem if there is one.

> 2) I want to set a retry rule for the localhost when quotas are exceeded.
> Again I thought I may be able to use "@", or "@.plymouth.ac.uk" but exim
> panics about these (apologies I don't have the error msg in front of me). If
> I use the systems full name it works fine.

The manual suggests that user@@ might be possible here, but I'm not sure
if it's right. Again, I will investigate when time permits.

> 3) If I enable the EXPN command (see 1 above) and then "telnet localhost 25".
> the HELP command doesn't show EXPN as being available. Is this right? It may
> be true for ETRN as well - I haven't tried it.

That's probably a bug. Noted for investigation.