Re: anti-relaying

Author: Richard Welty
To: Philip Hazel, Sean Witham
CC: Dom Mitchell, exim-users
Subject: Re: anti-relaying
Sean Witham <Sean.Witham@???>
> On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Philip Hazel wrote:

> > Personally, I feel that reverse-looking up every message that arrives is
> > a waste of net resources, which is why it isn't the default. But again,
> > I'm happy to put something in that is commented out.

> This may or may not be true for all users of exim but what do people
> feel is the general rule here and what the exception ?

originally i thought it was a waste, but on reflection, i'm running a
system which will have large mailing lists, and the number of
incoming messages is smallish by way of comparison to the number of
outgoing messages; reverse lookup on incoming messages isn't all that
much of a price to pay, expecially since it's being done with some of
the sender*reject options anyway (and competent sysadmins run caching
dns servers on systems that handle large mail lists, so lookups
on domains that are regularly sending to you/receiving from you
aren't so bad...)

richard
--
Richard Welty                     welty@???