Re: Sender reject options

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Chris Thompson
CC: John Horne, exim-users
Subject: Re: Sender reject options
} sender_reject_recipients contains a list of RFC822 addresses, specifying
} rejection if these occur in the "MAIL FROM" command in an SMTP session.
} It can be "mixed" in the sense that "domain" (rather than "local@domain")
} can occur, and is equivalent to "*@domain". All sorts of patterns and
} lookups can also be specified.

With 1.70 you can, of course, have the seriously sexy
sender_reject_recipients = "@@partial-dbm;/etc/exim/spam_block_regex.db"

where /etc/exim/spam_block_regex.db is a db file which looks like this:-

  ### Initially the macro like rules used elsewhere
  ## basic reject rules
  _basic_rules_        spammer-name1:spammer-name2:etc...
  ## 8 digit usernames plus basic hate list
  _basic_numeric_    ^\d{8}:>_basic_rules_

  ## default if not specififed
  *            >_basic_numeric_
  ## exclusions for defaults where some people use 8 digit addresses
  *.ac.uk        >_basic_rules_

  ## domains we don't like at all
  *.savetrees.com    *

  ## domains with specific extra exclusions
  *.whatever.dm        specific:>_basic_numeric_

[BTW this is a fake file I have just made up - but out rules follow that
pattern very closely.]

This neatly allows you to apply all sorts of patterns to incoming stuff.
Each entry in the list can be a username, a glob pattern or a real regular
expression. The >name syntax means that it goes onto entries for name.
[you can presumably write loops in this - which is likely to break things!]

I am just *so* impressed by this feature....!!!

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 224 0003 ]