Re: System loading.

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: System loading.
> It depends on what else the box is doing. If this is a mail only box -
> and not attempting to serve up some other service, then you can probably
> just let the load grow to its natural limit. However there is probably a
> good case for doing something on the lines of making the deliver_load_max
> around 20, and the queue_only_load say around 15 (obviously a lower value
> than the other parameter).
>
> } Everyone else seems to know about this, so I get the feeling
> } I've missed something in my education :-)
>
> Actually everyone else just guesses, sticks a wet finger in the air, and
> then plugs the latest set of lottery numbers in....
>
> It really is a black art involving lots of guess work. Its much easier if
> each box just has one function.... then you don't have to worry about
> resource starvation in the same way.

The system is (will be) our main mailhub...it does nothing else but
send/receive mail. I checked through some of the exim code, and found
references to kernel functions for system loading, but after that I got lost
as to where to look. I also noticed that the CDE startup screen and BSD "w"
command refer to system loading, but again could find out nothing else.

At present our PP system (another SS20) can become floored if we have a
network problem. We suddenly get a deluge of mail coming in and, of course!,
our users sending mail out. We have tried tweeking the system but to little
effect. Generally we sort of leave it to sort it self out over time! I just
wanted to have a bit more control over the exim system; like making it queue-
only if the system does become loaded.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and your final comments are noted! :-) We will
experiment a bit...

John.