Re: Sender reject options

Author: Chris Thompson
To: John Horne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Sender reject options
John Horne writes:

> I've been checking our configuration for sender rejects, and can't really see
> the difference between "sender_host_reject_recipients" and
> "sender_reject_recipients".
>
> According to the manual (exim 1.70) the first is a host-list, and the latter
> an address-list. But page 175 of chapter 44 implies that both of these can
> have a mixed format - hence aren't they the same? Also page 33 of chapter 7
> states that an address-list which is a file lookup can be a mixed list.

They contain quite different things:

sender_reject_recipients contains a list of RFC822 addresses, specifying
rejection if these occur in the "MAIL FROM" command in an SMTP session.
It can be "mixed" in the sense that "domain" (rather than "local@domain")
can occur, and is equivalent to "*@domain". All sorts of patterns and
lookups can also be specified.

sender_host_reject_recipients contains a list of host names or addresses,
specifying rejection if an SMTP session comes from one of them. Simple
host names are converted to IP address by DNS forward lookup when the
configuration file is read; patterns cause IP addresses to be converted
to hostnames by DNS reverse lookup at SMTP session time, and then matched.

> What I'm trying to achieve is to have a plain text file, hence using lsearch,
> which contains both individual users (e.g. fred@???), and sites (e.g.
> abc.co.uk) from whom we do not wish to receive mail.

But in the latter case, do you mean "mail with envelope sender
something@???", or "mail transmitted by the host abc.co.uk" ?

We have stopped using sender_host_reject_recipients here: for suspect sites
one doesn't want to get into DNS lookup, forward or reverse, anyway; and for
IP addresses one might as well combine the entries with others in
sender_net_reject_recipients (especially now this can be in a seperate file)
by using a mask of /32 (for IPv4).

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.