Re: Errors with 1.70 installation

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Andrew Alston
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Errors with 1.70 installation
On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Andrew Alston wrote:

> I am using Linux (slackware 3.2), the strange thing is that if the retry
> database was held by another process, surely the old version which I have
> now put back just incase till I know whats going on, would do the same
> thing, seeing it uses the same file as the new installation does for its
> retry database? (same directory same file in config file), is this perhaps
> a bug in 1.70?

The change to using a sleeping lock was made in 1.70 (well, in one of
the earlier testing versions, but it is a change since 1.62). Prior to
that, Exim used a non-blocking call and then waited for a few seconds
itself. The change was in the interests of getting the lock more
quickly. If your system has a problem with F_SETLKW it would not have
shown on 1.62.

You can try the locking code out; there are some instructions in the
file doc/dbm.discuss.txt about compiling a lock testing program.