Re: Errors with 1.70 installation

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Andrew Alston
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Errors with 1.70 installation
On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Andrew Alston wrote:

> Hi, when I try to send mail to myself from the local machine or anyone on
> the local machine I get the following error:
>
> 1997-09-03 13:22:35 0x6DW6-0006KG-00 Failed to get write lock for
> /var/spool/exim/db/retry: Device or resource busy
> 1997-09-03 13:22:35 0x6DW6-0006KG-00 Failed to get write lock for
> /var/spool/exim/db/retry: Device or resource busy
>
> however the mail seems to arrive at its destination... This message
> appears in exim_mainlog in my /var/adm/exim_mainlog file, anyone know wut
> the problem could be or a solution to it?

Exim is failing to get a lock when trying to open its retry database. It
should do this for all deliveries, not just local ones. If it can't
access its retry information (which is just "hints") it behaves as if
there is none - and always tries the delivery. That is why the mail is
getting through.

My Solaris manual suggests that this error might occur if the lock is
held by another process. However, Exim attempts to lock with the statement

rc = fcntl(fd, F_SETLKW, &lock_data);

which should wait until the lock is available. (It is done within an
alarm(), to time it out - but if that happened the error message should
be "timeout".)

What operating system are you using?