Re: Stopping SPAM to the exim users list

Author: Dr. Rich Artym
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Stopping SPAM to the exim users list
In message <Pine.GSO.3.93.970826105315.10319C-100000@???>,
Manar Hussain writes:

> In this instance I would suggest that we maintain a list of people who can
> post but are not recipients (directly) of mail to exim-users. We then
> require people behind exploders to be on this list and set up exim-users to
> only allow subscribers and this list of people to post - a compromise ...

It takes us back to a thread of 3 months ago: for general closed-group
handling of exploders without needing to fork a filtering process, all
you need is to accept against an input-set, explode through an output-set,
and optionally exclude through a ban-set of addresses. That can be done
with just require_files in pre-1.70 versions, and even more easily now
in 1.70 with the senders and except_senders options.

Having said that, I don't know if it's worth the effort. It's not as if
we're being inundated with spam. Still, I'll go with list closure as
long as the list keeps separate input and output sets, because I need
the ability to post from various addresses behind local exploders and
I don't want multiple copies arriving for every post, as would happen
if I registered everyone behind the local exploder separately. Also, I
can do without any extra list admin --- to hit the DEL key occasionally
or to implement a little spam filter is far less of a headache than to
keep tabs on who is registered locally with the list and who isn't.

Rich Artym.
--
rich@???