Re: Problem with exim and fetchmail. (fwd)

Author: Rob Browning
To: exim-users
CC: Philip Hazel
Subject: Re: Problem with exim and fetchmail. (fwd)
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> writes:

> receiver_unqualified_hosts = localhost    ?

I had already tried this, and it didn't help.

> Of course, you could always set
>
> receiver_unqualified_hosts = *

This worked.

The problem seems to be that fetchmail, which wants to deliver local
mail on port 25 to the exim SMTP listener, doesn't qualify the local
addresses with a domain name.

For example, lets say there's mail waiting on nevermore with a "To"
address of <rlb@???>, and say my local user name on the
machine I'm running fetchmail is "someuser". Fetchmail will try to
deliver the mail to "someuser" through the local SMTP port. Exim sees
this and balks because fetchmail provides *no* domain at all. The
solutions I see are:

  1) Fix fetchmail to send to someuser@localhost rather than just
     someuser.

  2) Use fetchmail's -mda option to invoke exim as "exim -bm %"
     instead of using the SMTP port (the fetchmail FAQ thinks this is
     a bad idea)

  3) Get exim to somehow figure out that it's a local connection to
     the SMTP port (possible?) and allow missing domains for those.

Other options?

Thanks
--
Rob