Address re-writing in Exim

Author: Nigel R. Armfield
To: exim-users
Subject: Address re-writing in Exim
Hi,

I'm comverting our MTA service from PP to Exim and have managed
to overcome most of the cultural differences.

There's One thing I haven't quite managed to sort out -

Our MTA is a hub for the entire site, and addresses are re-written
in the form 'Initial(s).Surname@???' as they pass through
the MTA. This worked OK in PP and is fine in Exim.

A feature of our PP configuration is that addresses which do not
exist in the tables cannot EMail out of this site. The most
useful result of this feature is that badly formed return addresses
are not let out of the site.

With Exim, I'm not sure how to achieve the same thing - what
I really want is for Exim to return/dump any EMail which contains
an originator's address which cannot be rewritten.

Has anyone else done this ?

Any ideas gratefully received - please could you reply directly
to me as I'm not (yet) a member of this list.

Many thanks,

Nigel

"When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him
 melodiously first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him
 with vigor."
Nigel R. Armfield                N.R.Armfield@???
Campus Network Manager
Computing Services                Voice: +44 113 283 3119
Leeds Metropolitan University            Fax:   +44 113 283 5962
LEEDS LS1 3HE
UK