Re: checking for .forward as root, not exim?

Author: Tim Cutts
To: Chris Harris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: checking for .forward as root, not exim?
On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Chris Harris wrote:

> The only sollutions I can think of are a) telling the user that his home
> dir must be world-readable (or, slightly more clever but more ugly, that
> he must chgrp his home dir to the exim group and make it group-readable)
> or b) making exim run as root, full-time. Both of these seem rather
> half-assed sollutions. Is there a way to make exim check for (and read)
> .forward files (or other files looked at via require_files) as root,
> rather than as exim? Are there other sollutions to this problem that
> people can think of?

The home directory only needs to be world executable, not world readable,
but his .procmailrc will need to be world readable. So he can have:

chmod 711 ~
chmod 644 ~/.procmailrc

which should enable exim to work, but still prevent users getting a
listing of what's in his home directory.

Tim.

T J R Cutts                                           Tel: +44 1223 333596
Dept. of Biochemistry, Tennis Court Rd.,              Fax: +44 1223 766002
Cambridge, CB2 1QW, UK