Re: When does rewriting occur ?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Bruno.Vuillemin
CC: exim-users, PostMaster
Subject: Re: When does rewriting occur ?
On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 Bruno.Vuillemin@??? wrote:

> But if I put the following rewriting rule in the configure file
> web@??? webmaster@???
>
> then the account web can't receive any more messages.
> they are automatically forwarded to webmaster@???
> (as eximon shows it). There is no local delivery.
>
> Is this behaviour correct or I am missing something ?
> I always though that rewriting was done when sending a
> message not when receiving one for local delivery.

Rewriting is done for *all* messages as they are received. At that time,
Exim doesn't know if it's for local delivery or not. Indeed, if there
are several addresses it might be for local delivery and remote
delivery.

However, you can control what is rewritten by setting various flags. It
looks to me as though you should add the flags Ff to your rewriting
rule. It will then apply only to envelope sender fields and From:
headers. Leaving the evelope "to" field alone will ensure that web@xxx
will get delivered locally.