Re: Dates and expiring addresses

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Piete Brooks
A: T. William Wells
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Dates and expiring addresses
> My own opinion is that, like spam blocker addresses in general,
> this is ultimately a pointless tactic.

I think of it much like protecting my home. It is not pointless.

> It just means that the next generation of spamming tools will know about
> dated addresses and how to extract a valid address from them.

If all "spamers" always used the latest tools, that may be the case.
Consider my home analogy -- the FBI / CIA / ... have the "latest tools",
and I'm sure that they could break into my home.
I am not willing to expend the resources even to attempt to stop that
level of attack.
However, I *do* consider it worthwhile to lock the front door at night and
if there is nobody in the house.

yes -- current spam techniques will not block 100% of incoming SPAM,
but I am willing to put in varying amounts of effort if it will block
25%, 50%, 75%, 90%, 95%, ... of SPAM.

> Furthermore, I might quibble with the implementation -- anything that
> requires user intervention in the mail process is a bad idea.

Err -- in normal use, it will only require the Sender to set hir From: address
and "reply" will "just work" (as it will be befire the expiry date).

> About the only thing this has going for it is that, unlike other spam
> blocking addresses, it doesn't shift the annoyance onto the sender;

Eh ?

> I, for one, don't pay attention to e-mail addresses and if mail to an
> address that is a spam blocker address bounces, I don't bother to
> figure it out.

As I understand it, if you reply to an item in the normal way, the address
will be valid.
It is only if you use an *OLD* address that it will fail.
If you are doing that, and you *REALLY* want to make contact (to get the
package you need to get your current project rolling) I would assume that you
*would* put the effort in !