Re: failed to get write lock for...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: John Henders
Cc: Exim Mailing List
Asunto: Re: failed to get write lock for...
On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, John Henders wrote:

> Isn't this just the same thing that came up a long time ago on this list
> about locking strategies on linux? Most gdbm libraries for linux appear
> to be compiled to support flock() while exim uses fcntl(), and under
> linux these two protocols are mutually exclusive. I know I haven't had
> any trouble with gdbm since I recompiled a version that used fcntl()
> locking by default.

Yes. I have now tested gdbm on Solaris, and on that system it seems to
lock with fcntl() and so is compatible. However, as it does its own
locking, you don't need to lock externally at all, and I've added an
option to Exim to turn off its locking altogether. This could be used
on linux versions that use flock(), to save having to recompile gdbm.

I'm going to produce a long, detailed document about all the things I've
been learning about the various different dbm libraries. There will also
be a prescription for testing Exim's code to ensure that locking is
actually happening with the current configuration.