Re: Year 2000.

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Sean Witham
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: Nigel Metheringham, Jay Denebeim, Exim User's List (E-mail)
Asunto: Re: Year 2000.

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Philip Hazel wrote:

> (a) It is something users are likely to be typing for themselves,
> possibly quite often. It gets dead boring to have to type an unchanging
> "19" or "20" every time - after all, that's why people use 2-digit dates
> in the first place, because the century changes so rarely.

That's very feable, a default century prefix is usually used with
most paper forms. With an electronic system you can "fill in" the
current century where it is missing should people be too lazy to
include it and if they want a specific one they will add the 19 or 20.

> (b) Once we are past the millennium, strings like 010304 won't look so
> obviously like dates as 970304 perhaps does, whereas 19970304 and
> 20010304 do look like dates. The idea being that it will be less easy to
> automatically spot that a local part is time-expired and remove the
> date. Mind you, if a spammer is intelligent enough to do that, one might
> hope they would be intelligent enough to realize that it would do them
> no good, since the person who posts with an expiry-stamped address is
> highly likely not to react positively to spam.

That doesn't seem to favour your arguement.

I would preffer the clearer non-ambigous option of 4 digits. I have to
to deal with many repetaive configuration issues every day an extra
two digits is no bother.

--Sean