Re: Wish list

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dr. Rich Artym
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Wish list
In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.970502062539.25086D-100000@???>,
Christoph Lameter writes:

> 5. eximon is unusable with huge mail queues.

Which brings to mind a question: since eximon hasn't changed visibly
since 0.57, is it still undergoing feature enhancement or just the usual
maintenance? Does it have a wishlist? I must say, having a visual monitor
does provide an immense feelgood factor in contrast to sendmail, but PP's
MTAconsole is a bit better than eximon, despite still being poor in a
modern GUI sense. [I don't mean modern "pretty", but modern functional.]

The direction in which I'd like to see eximon headed is as a graphic
interface that can be configured to invoke (and display the output of)
exim commandlines. To some extent it seems to do something like that
already, but it's not configurable much -- there should be a requester
per command which we can configure up as we want, and the command set
available should be extensible. When something is listed in a window,
I would like there to be filters available, configurable through a
requester window --- that, plus a configurable number of windows, would
help Christoph manage his huge volumes. And of course, all eximon setup
info should be bidirectionally transferable to and from config files,
since configuring up GUIs through the GUI is not a power technique.

I think Christoph may have highlighted a key issue though, not just
about eximon but about Exim in general. There is not much point in
expending such a vast amount of development effort to create a small-
time MTA. The target might as well be to make it one that is capable
of supporting traffic volumes an order or more greater than the highest
we see today. I would certainly support such an emphasis, even if it
meant that some other wishlist items don't get addressed. The Internet
is going exponential, and we're still at the bottom of the curve. We
need to keep the problem of vast traffic volumes in mind as we debate
issues of design if Exim isn't to run out of steam when the going gets
tough, as it will. I think Exim is on the right path with its built-in
alternatives to linear searches and parallelism, but clearly there is
still much to do. Powerful management facilities are a must.

Going back to eximon, is it currently frozen? Does it have a wishlist?

Rich.
--
###########  Dr. Rich Artym  ================  PGP public key available
# galacta #  Email   : rich@???         158.152.156.137