Re: IP Literal addresses -quoting?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: John Henders
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: IP Literal addresses -quoting?
On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, John Henders wrote:

> I've been using a new mail client, mutt, and ran across a conflict in
> the way it interprets RFC822's section on special characters and the
> handling of IP literal addresses. I only just ran across it because I
> never use IP literal addressing normally, but I was trying to get mail
> to a sysadmin who had set up his site's MX record to point to an IP
> address. Mutt will take an IP literal address such as user@???
> and quote the []'s, i.e. user@"[127.0.0.1]". This seems to be done
> because RFC822 specifies these characters as special and requiring
> quoting, but it's unclear to me that this is meant to apply to IP
> literal addresses. Exim sees the quoted address and bounces it.
>
> Which is the correct interpretation? Should exim handle this case, or is
> mutt getting it wrong?

mutt is wrong. RFC 822 defines a domain as

sub-domain.sub-domain.sub-domain...

and sub-domain as domain-ref or domain-literal

and domain-ref as atom (string of non-specials or quoted string)

and domain-literal as [dtext]

and dtext as any char excluding [ ] \

So *syntactically*, one could have user@abcd.[127.0.0.1].xyz.[foobar],
though that has no semantic meaning.