Re: ampersand in GECOS field

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: David.Osborne
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: ampersand in GECOS field
Michael Robinson writes [6 Jan 1997 23:52:17 +1300]:

> >(c) Hmm. Why does Exim call it "gecos" rather than "gcos"? Where did I get
> >that from, I wonder? I'll check up on that too.
>
> "General Electric Company Operating System"? I think it was derived from
> Multics, and didn't that have a lot to do with GEC?

General Electric Comprehensive Operating System. When Honeywell took over the
computing part of GE, they changed the name to GCOS (General Comprehensive
Operating System), hence the two names used today. Note "Comprehensive" not
"Comprehensible"! I don't think it was *derived* from Multics, although there
were some Multics features borrowed... a sort of cross-fertilisation. There was
also a B compiler (the link between BCPL and C)... I still think it was
educational to learn BCPL, B and C in that order.

Nice to think the time I spent using a Honeywell 66 in the Natural Environment
Research Council has come in useful at last! ;-)

David