Re: Bulk mailings

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Michelle Dick
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Junk mail (was: Re Bulk mailings)
Subject: Re: Bulk mailings
On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Michelle Dick wrote:

> Oops! I misunderstood what was happening. All the other 500
> addresses in the queue were already delivered, only this cencom.net
> one was left and *it* is timing out. That's quite alright. Exim is
> quite excellent! It got them all out even though there was a bad one
> in the middle. Impressive!

I *do* hope you are not using Exim to send out unsolicited junk mail. As
part of the mail management team here I spend a lot of my time fighting
to keep this stuff out - it annoys our users a great deal, apart from
filling up their limited mailbox space. It also tends to fill up the
queue with undeliverable error messages for non-existent or cancelled
accounts, leading to more work for me. I would be immensely saddened to
learn that any of my software was being used for this evil purpose.

> > Is there any way to limit the number of multiple RCPTS per message?

At the moment, no. RFC 821 encourages packing up multiple recipients
into one SMTP transmission, but I can't find anywhere that it imposes
any limit; indeed, in discussing RCPT it says "This second step of
the procedure can be repeated any number of times."

However, there probably ought to be some way of setting a limit. I have
made a note of the requirement and will implement something. Until I do,
the only way round any problem is to submit a number of separate
messages, each with a limited number of recipients.