Re: Bulk mailings

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Michelle Dick, exim-users
Subject: Re: Bulk mailings
} At the moment, no. RFC 821 encourages packing up multiple recipients
} into one SMTP transmission, but I can't find anywhere that it imposes
} any limit; indeed, in discussing RCPT it says "This second step of
} the procedure can be repeated any number of times."
}
} However, there probably ought to be some way of setting a limit. I have
} made a note of the requirement and will implement something. Until I do,
} the only way round any problem is to submit a number of separate
} messages, each with a limited number of recipients.

This then begs the question that if you have a mailer which is unhappy
with many recipients RCPT TO lines would be happy with muliple messages in
a single TCP session.

So if you handle this RCPT limit by chunking the message in several SMTP
enverlopes but within a single TCP connection will the server be happy or
die!!

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   - Unix Applications Engineer ]
[ *Views expressed here are personal and not supported by PLAnet* ]