Bulk mailings

Author: Michelle Dick
To: exim-users
Subject: Bulk mailings

I'm having trouble with bulk mailings to a relay host. I have 3200
address mailing list I want to relay. The host can't take all 3200
addresses in one lump because there is a smtp connection timeout on
the host.

Is there any way to limit the number of multiple RCPTS per message?

And if I give exim batches of mail, all containing the same message is
it smart enough to recognize they are the same message? I ask because
exim -bp tells me I have a message with 500 recipients waiting to go
out and I thought I didn't send it a batch of more than 50 (I could be
wrong, I'm using smartlist's choplist function and it's a little
unpredicatable) -- did it lump them together? It can't get this out
because my smtp connection to the host times out every time:

1996-12-02 17:29:45 0vUVG5-0000Z0-00 SMTP timeout while connected to
tango.rahul.net [192.160.13.5] after RCPT TO: <tetleyp@???>
1996-12-02 17:29:45 0vUVG5-0000Z0-00 == tetleyp@??? T=smtp
defer (110): Connection timed out: SMTP timeout while connected to
tango.rahul.net [192.160.13.5] after RCPT TO: <tetleyp@???>

And so no one goes. Next run it tries again, but always times out in
the middle of the effort.

Anyway I can get this message out? Short of making a new distribution
list with the addresses listed on the queue, deleting the message from
the queue, and resending by hand?

--
Michelle Dick             artemis@???              East Palo Alto, CA