Re: Numerology

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Chris Thompson
Para: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users, rms
Asunto: Re: Numerology
Philip Hazel writes:

>                       However, the advent of the CD-ROM is perhaps a
> good time to go for version 1.00, so I think I will do that.

Will you still be calling it "in beta test", as per overview.txt? Or can
it progress to "released"? No, surely not :-). How about "gamma test"?

> Hmm. Everybody knows that version 1.00 of anything doesn't work. Perhaps
> I should call it 1.42? 1.58? 5.8? Exim '97? Nah, don't like any of
> those...

You could emulate Donald Knuth with the TeX/Metafont version numbers, and
start calling successive versions 1.4, 1.41, 1.414, 1.4142, ... Mind you,
it was this that finally convinced me that Don didn't know what version
numbers were for :-)

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.