Numerology

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: exim-users
CC: Richard Stallman
Asunto: Numerology
I heard from an Exim fan yesterday that his boss wouldn't let him
install Exim on their servers because "it hasn't even reached version 1
yet".

I am intending to release a new version next week. This will be mainly a
tidy-up of 0.57, but with a couple of additional anti-spam options. The
reason for releasing it so soon after 0.57 is that it is likely to end
up on the GNU CD-ROM that is to be cut in December, and I'd like it to
be bashed as much as possible before then. Because of the ROMming I am
also updating the documentation again, though the changes are small.

I've always had trouble with version numbers on software that is just a
one-man show. It's not like an OS which has a team fixing bugs on one
version while developers work on the next. Exim just gets fixed and
extended and there's always just one current version, so I tend just to
increment the number. However, the advent of the CD-ROM is perhaps a
good time to go for version 1.00, so I think I will do that.

Hmm. Everybody knows that version 1.00 of anything doesn't work. Perhaps
I should call it 1.42? 1.58? 5.8? Exim '97? Nah, don't like any of
those...