Re: 0.56 and perl location

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jon Peatfield
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: Neal Becker, exim-users, jp107
Asunto: Re: 0.56 and perl location
> > I see exigrep is broken for me, because it assumes perl is /bin/perl.
>
> Gosh. I really did think that one was pretty standard. Oh well, failed
> again...

The perl book suggests installing it in /bin/perl, but few vendors have taken
this suggestion.

> Next you'll be telling me that your shell isn't in /bin/sh... :-))

Specc-1170 allows you to asume that a shell will exist at that path, but there
are precious few other assumptions you are aloowed to make about the locations
of programs.

Personally I put perl in /opt/perl/bin/perl, though we allow it to be called
by other names for compatability with older scripts.

As a policy though we *never* change the contents of /bin or /usr/bin on any
system (*) so stuff either goes in /usr/local/bin if it is local to the
machine or /opt/ if it isn't.

(*) I break this rule for RedHat RPMs I've built myself since in some sense
they are part of the base OS.

-- Jon