Re: Exim now managing its own list!

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: David Carter
A: Kuyper Hoffman
Cc: exim-users
Temas nuevos: IMAP/POP
Asunto: Re: Exim now managing its own list!

> >   hermes.cam.ac.uk  (from smail [pp until early 1995?], July-August 1996)
> >     Central mail store [c. 10000 users]. Used as a login-for-pine / imap /
> >     pop service for workstations. Main mail service for undergraduates.

> also can you tell me what config machine is handling a load of
> 10,000 users?

Up until February it was 1 x Sparc 20 plus 2 x Sparc 10. Lots of very
unhappy students!

Come October will be:

4 x Sparc 20.
1 x Sparc Ultra.
1 x Sparc 4 admin machine (NIS and jumpstart master)

with a dedicated NFS server machine (MIMserver?) to follow.

ppsw.cam.ac.uk will be 2 x Sparc 10 (nabbed from Hermes). The single Sparc
10 currently running Exim is one whole lot happier than the previous 2 x
Sparc 20s crippled by PP.

> What POP / IMAP s/w are you using? (It seems you are
> now running exim, so were there any funnies about mail directory
> delivery -- some POP servers don't necessarily read from
> /var/mail/username, but rather /var/mailbox/user_name/msg_id[1-n])

Washington IMAP daemon from PINE 3.94 distribution (horribly wasteful on
memory, but it does work) plus Qualcomm Popper.

Both Imap and Pop daemons have been hacked to manage mail delivery into
home directories. They don't handle over-quota problems very elegantly
Unlike Exim: thanks Philip!

Dave

--
David Carter                             Email: David.Carter@???
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502