Re: Exim now managing its own list!

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Kuyper Hoffman
A: Chris Thompson
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Exim now managing its own list!
> > PS BTW does anyone have a list of who is using exim as either a test or
> > in production - we may have to make a case to our managment to run exim
> > and they are always pleased to known they are not going where no man has
> > gone before.

We run Exim on our main MX machine (30,000 messages incoming a day,
expands to [latest peak] 38,000 delivered messages). Used to be a
SPARC Classic!! (buckled) now a SPARC Ultra1 with 64MB RAM,
expecting delivery of a larger server (200MHz+128MB) in a few weeks.

On Solaris Exim works splendidly, however we serve POP users on
Linux boxes and these are proving to be a bit of a problem, but in
general there appear to be many bugs in the Libux Kernel that
surface under heavy load.

>   cus.cam.ac.uk   (from smail, June 1996)  "Central Unix Service"
>     [c. 5000 users, 2 x 8-cpu SparcServer 1000's]. For real users, whose
>     complaints about mail matter...

I'm keen to understand how you have arranged the SPARCServer 1000s
in such a configuration. In my previous job we had 2x4proc 1000s
but the only way to tie them together was with Sun's HA s/w, which
at R100K (about $25K) we were somewhat reluctant and rather just ran
the second machine as a hot spare, occasionally manually segmenting
work to farm out to it (100mbps ethernet made NFS _real_ quick! :-)

Do you just break your users into 2 clumps and point some at the one
machine and some at the other?

>   hermes.cam.ac.uk  (from smail [pp until early 1995?], July-August 1996)
>     Central mail store [c. 10000 users]. Used as a login-for-pine / imap /
>     pop service for workstations. Main mail service for undergraduates.

also can you tell me what config machine is handling a load of
10,000 users? What POP / IMAP s/w are you using? (It seems you are
now running exim, so were there any funnies about mail directory
delivery -- some POP servers don't necessarily read from
/var/mail/username, but rather /var/mailbox/user_name/msg_id[1-n])

> Of course, this rapid conversion to Exim is entirely on its merits, and
> nothing to do do with the fact that we can browbeat Philip Hazel into adding
> all the features we want...

he-he, can you spell "pay-cheque" :-)

cheers
Kuyper
--
/          Kuyper Hoffman        / Vox:+27 (0) 21.689.6242  O/H GMT+0200   /
\    mailto:Kuyper@iAfrica.Com   \ Cel:+27 (0) 83.444.1024  24hr Cell      \