Re: copyright?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Chris Thompson
A: Neal Becker
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: copyright?
Neal Becker <neal@???> writes:

> I am interested in using exim as part of a commercial service. Is
> this allowable under the copyright? (I am talking of selling a
> service, not selling exim itself).

As you probably know, Philip Hazel is away until 27 August, so if you
feel this to be a sensitive issue you should wait until he is back.

However, it seems to me that there is no problem. Exim is distributed
under the terms of the Gnu General Public License, from which I quote:

| Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
| covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of
| running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
| is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
| Program (independent of having been made by running the Program).
| Whether that is true depends on what the Program does.

I think it would be a considerable stretch to claim that messages that
had passed through Exim constituted a work based on it!

As a matter of courtesy, you should keep Philip informed of any large-scale
use of Exim, especially while it is still Beta.

And please note (from NOTICE):

| This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
| but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
| MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
| GNU General Public License for more details.

If your commercial service loses millions of dollars because of a bug in
Exim, don't expect the University of Cambridge to reimburse you!

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.