著者: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
CC: Richard Stallman
題目: Exim 0.50
Exim version 0.50 is now available:

ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/exim/exim-0.50.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/exim/exim-patch-0.43-0.50.gz

I have upped the number to 0.50 because I'm hoping this will be the
first Beta release. Sometime next week I intend to make an announcement
on Usenet, asking for Beta testers.

0.50 is a bug-fix release, but there are a couple of points you should
be aware of:

(1) The parameters for the exicyclog script which specify which
compression program to use and how many old log files to keep are now
taken from Local/Makefile (i.e. built from src/EDITME) so you should
update your Local/Makefile appropriately.

(2) The code in the daemon that handles cleaning up completed
subprocesses has been re-arranged. The original was copied from the way
Smail does it, but I believe (and others agree) that this contains a
potential race bug that can get the count of running suprocesses
incorrect, causing Exim to refuse new SMTP connections when it
shouldn't. A couple of incidents that might have been caused by this
have been observed (and, incidentally, we've seen something similar with
Smail). I believe the new code should be OK on all operating systems
(and I've run tests on a number of them) but I thought people should be
aware of this change, just in case there's a problem.

(3) There is no change to the main documentation, other than to add
NetBSD to the list of supported OS. However, I have edited the filter
document because it was pointed out that the pipe example, which read

pipe "$home/bin/countmail $sender_address"

was not something to be encouraged. RFC 822 addresses are so exceedingly
generously specified that the following SMTP command is perfectly legal:

MAIL FROM: |/home/baddie/@???

and even with sender_verify set, that will get into $sender_address, so
a malefactor with an account on the same machine could disrupt the
delivery. The solution is to use quotes:

pipe "$home/bin/countmail \"$sender_address\""

and I have put in a general warning paragraph which I will probably
expand even more in the next edition.