Re: [exim] How do you get multiple messages sent via the sam…

Author: Adam Nielsen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How do you get multiple messages sent via the same smarthost SMTP connection?
> You need more than just "it's left around"; the routing needs to have
> happened, so that a given SMTP connection has a whole bunch of messages
> which can go down, even if split up into one recipient each.

Ah ok, that makes it clearer.

> You want to ensure that Routing is done ahead of time; -odqs will do
> this, or two-stage queueing with -qq (thanks Graeme for the reminder)
> or using queue_smtp_domains.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried changing the daemon to use only
-bd, however the messages were still being delivered immediately. I
think this is because the docs say -odb is the default, which performs
immediate delivery.

I changed the daemon to use "-bd -odqs" and this appeared to work
correctly, all the outgoing messages came up as:

...R=mailman_verp_router T=mailman_verp_smtp defer (0): SMTP delivery
    explicitly queued

Which seems like what I want. The problem is when I run "exim -qq -v"
to perform the delivery, I still only get one message sent per
connection - the exim output clearly shows it disconnecting and
reconnecting to the same server:

SMTP<< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
SMTP>> writing message and terminating "."
SMTP<< 250 2.0.0 m620JWVh003668 Message accepted for delivery
LOG: MAIN
failed to open DB file /var/spool/exim/db/wait-mailman_verp_smtp: Success
SMTP>> QUIT
LOG: MAIN
=> next.address@??? R=mailman_verp_router T=mailman_verp_smtp
H=smtp.hostname [1.2.3.4]
Connecting to smtp.hostname [1.2.3.4]:25 ... connected
SMTP<< 220 smtp.hostname ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Wed, 2 Jul
2008 10:19:32 +1000
SMTP>> EHLO my.hostname

I've been wondering what that "failed to open DB file - Success" error
was for - given that it checks the database *before* disconnecting from
the server, it this where Exim stores the list of other messages waiting
to use the same connection? According to the FAQ it looks like there's
some problem with my DBM library? The DB file doesn't exist.

Thanks,
Adam.