Re: [exim] How do you get multiple messages sent via the sam…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Adam Nielsen
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How do you get multiple messages sent via the samesmarthost SMTP connection?
On 2008-07-02 at 10:41 +1000, Adam Nielsen wrote:
>    SMTP<< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>    SMTP>> writing message and terminating "."
>    SMTP<< 250 2.0.0 m620JWVh003668 Message accepted for delivery
> LOG: MAIN
>    failed to open DB file /var/spool/exim/db/wait-mailman_verp_smtp: Success
>    SMTP>> QUIT
> LOG: MAIN
>    => next.address@??? R=mailman_verp_router T=mailman_verp_smtp
> H=smtp.hostname [1.2.3.4]
> Connecting to smtp.hostname [1.2.3.4]:25 ... connected
>    SMTP<< 220 smtp.hostname ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Wed, 2 Jul
> 2008 10:19:32 +1000
>    SMTP>> EHLO my.hostname

> I've been wondering what that "failed to open DB file - Success" error
> was for - given that it checks the database *before* disconnecting from
> the server, it this where Exim stores the list of other messages waiting
> to use the same connection? According to the FAQ it looks like there's
> some problem with my DBM library? The DB file doesn't exist.

Yes, that's where Exim stores the list of mails pending for the
destination.

You can "rm -rf" the db directory and Exim should recreate it with
correct permissions, provided that it can write to /var/spool/exim/.
Just don't remove the parent of the db directory! The mails in the
spool are elsewhere under /var/spool/exim/.

-Phil