Re: [exim] How do you get multiple messages sent via the sam…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Adam Nielsen
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How do you get multiple messages sent via the samesmarthost SMTP connection?
On 2008-07-01 at 16:37 +1000, Adam Nielsen wrote:
> Are "figuring out where the mail has to go" and "sending it out"
> actually two different steps? Because like I say the mail is being
> queued, and flushing the queue still only sends one message per SMTP
> connection - but if it's not "figuring out where the mail has to go"
> until the last minute perhaps this could still explain why it's only
> sending one message per connection.

Figuring out: Routers
Sending it out: Transports

You need more than just "it's left around"; the routing needs to have
happened, so that a given SMTP connection has a whole bunch of messages
which can go down, even if split up into one recipient each.

You want to ensure that Routing is done ahead of time; -odqs will do
this, or two-stage queueing with -qq (thanks Graeme for the reminder)
or using queue_smtp_domains.

Just using queue_only isn't sufficient, my mistake. The memory of
managing heavily loaded Exim is fading. :^/

-Phil