Re: [exim] Cannot send mails to @hotmail.com addresses

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Cannot send mails to @hotmail.com addresses
* on the Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 07:56:05PM +0200, mavior wrote:

> The mail simply does not arrive in hotmail inbox nor in spam box.Seems
> like it is silently deleted from hotmail servers,but I don't receive any
> reject mail back or any other feedback.
> Any suggestions?
> thank you

I've found a way around their stupid filters. Well, it works for me
anyway. Just before the dnslookup router create another router:

hotmail:
  driver      = dnslookup
  domains     = hotmail.com : hotmail.co.uk
  transport   = remote_smtp
  headers_add = ${run{/usr/bin/perl -e 'print "X-HotMail-Fodder1-\$_: ".("Z"x99)."\n" for 1..220'}{$value}{}}\
                ${run{/usr/bin/perl -e 'print "X-HotMail-Fodder2-\$_: ".("Z"x99)."\n" for 1..220'}{$value}{}}
  ignore_target_hosts = 0.0.0.0 : 127.0.0.0/8
  no_more

This adds lots of large headers to the email message which seems to
push the message size above a limit somewhere around 50KB at which
point hotmail stops blackholing my mail. Maybe they don't perform
certain scans on messages above a certain size.

1.) This might piss them off so use it at your own risk. It's obviously only
    appropriate for small mail systems.
2.) The reason I have two run expansions as it fails if you try to
    return a result larger than 32KB
3.) hotmail.com and hotmail.co.uk obviously aren't the only hotmail
    domains so that list should probably be expanded
4.) Hotmail doesn't blackhole any replies to mail afaics. With a
    bit of testing I've found that whenever you send an email from your
    hotmail account they record the Message-ID with the account. Any email
    that you send back to that account will get through if the Message-ID is
    valid. This means we could simply not apply the padding if an email
    contains a message id of the correct format

Mike