Re: [Exim] smtp auth with exim as client

Author: Andreas J Mueller
To: Jonas Meurer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] smtp auth with exim as client
Hi Jonas!

> and it works fine (server does not accept cram_md5, what whould be the
> securest way, right?). how can i do smtp stuff over ssl if possible? or
> is this per default?

CRAM-MD5 is preferable, because it doesn't transmit plaintext
password. However, few relay servers seem to support it. Since you
are using the exim-tls package, Exim will use TLS encryption for
outgoing mail if the destination MTA supports and advertises it.
Again, not many relay servers do this (postman.arcor-online.net being
a rare exception).

> when i change "t-online.de" to "t-online.de:lists.sourceforge.net", it
> doesn't work any longer. why? the syntax is right, or not?

The syntax would be right for a domain list, however, to quote the
Exim book on the domainlist router:
"The [domain] pattern is in the same format as one[!] item in a domain
list such as local_domains."

To specify multiple domains, repeat the routing rule:
        route_list = t-online.de mail.example.com bydns_a \
                     lists.sourceforge.net mail.example.com bydns_a

But I would suggest another approach:  Instead of specifying an ever
increasing list of domains in the main configuration file, use
looked-up routing rules.  Replace the route_list option with:
        search_type = lsearch
        route_file = /path/to/routes.special

Then, create a file /path/to/routes.special with the following in it:

# Special routes for domains that block dialup hosts
t-online.de:            mail.example.com bydns_a
lists.sourceforge.net:  mail.example.com bydns_a

Reload Exim and you're done. Much easier to maintain IMHO.

Andy

--
Andreas J. Mueller                            email: <andy@???>