Re: [Exim] smtp auth with exim as client

Author: Jonas Meurer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] smtp auth with exim as client
On 12/06/2003 Andreas J Mueller wrote:
> > and it works fine (server does not accept cram_md5, what whould be the
> > securest way, right?). how can i do smtp stuff over ssl if possible? or
> > is this per default?
>
> CRAM-MD5 is preferable, because it doesn't transmit plaintext
> password. However, few relay servers seem to support it. Since you
> are using the exim-tls package, Exim will use TLS encryption for
> outgoing mail if the destination MTA supports and advertises it.
> Again, not many relay servers do this (postman.arcor-online.net being
> a rare exception).

ok, thanks. my exim gives at delivering:
2003-06-12 02:40:51 19QG8s-0003g6-00 => user@??? R=relayed T=remote_smtp H=mail.example.com [222.111.11.222] X=TLSv1:DES-CBC3-SHA:168
2003-06-12 02:40:51 19QG8s-0003g6-00 Completed

does this "TLSv1:DES-CBC3-SHA:168" mean that the server supports ssl?

> > when i change "t-online.de" to "t-online.de:lists.sourceforge.net", it
> > doesn't work any longer. why? the syntax is right, or not?
>
> The syntax would be right for a domain list, however, to quote the
> Exim book on the domainlist router:
> "The [domain] pattern is in the same format as one[!] item in a domain
> list such as local_domains."
>
> To specify multiple domains, repeat the routing rule:
>         route_list = t-online.de mail.example.com bydns_a \
>                      lists.sourceforge.net mail.example.com bydns_a

> But I would suggest another approach:  Instead of specifying an ever
> increasing list of domains in the main configuration file, use
> looked-up routing rules.  Replace the route_list option with:
>         search_type = lsearch
>         route_file = /path/to/routes.special

> Then, create a file /path/to/routes.special with the following in it:
>
> # Special routes for domains that block dialup hosts
> t-online.de:            mail.example.com bydns_a
> lists.sourceforge.net:  mail.example.com bydns_a

> Reload Exim and you're done. Much easier to maintain IMHO.

wow, i choosed the file solution, and it's pretty nice. thanks a lot ;)

bye
mejo

--
Efficiency and progess is ours one more