Re: [EXIM] exim -R and frozen messages

Author: Philip Hazel
To: P.Rosenberg
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] exim -R and frozen messages
On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Paul Rosenberg wrote:

> As illustrated below, exim -R seems to force delivery of frozen messages.
> This is not documented too well, and is not what was wanted in this case.

Sorry about the documentation. It does say that it forces a delivery of
the first message - unfortunately, it doesn't point out that forcing a
delivery always thaws a frozen message (which is of course what you want
when doing a manual force).

> Circumvention please. I am running Exim 2.12 #13. The same also happened
> with Exim 1.92.

It's always been like that, I'm afraid. On reflection, I think that -R
probably shouldn't behave like a manual force (e.g. -M) and that it
should be changed so as to leave frozen messages alone. If anybody
disagrees, please speak up! However, there is also -Rf, which forces
every message it selects. To do this job properly, all the forcing
options except -M probably need to be split into two: "force, overriding
freezing" and "force, respecting freezing".

However, it requires changes to the code to do any of this, I'm afraid.