Re: [EXIM] need filter advice

Author: Mark Baker
To: Bob Billson, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] need filter advice
On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 11:24:29PM -0500, Bob Billson wrote:

> >would be fine, too. But I need more info to give you this
> >advise: how do you know to whom the mail is addressed? Do you
> >use the "To:" and "Cc:" headers, or is it the SMTP "RCPT"
> >recepient address?
>
> I need to use the 'To:' and 'Cc:' headers. The SMTP "RCPT" header is
> always the same (paper) since this is the user fetchmail runs as when it
> grabs the mail from the ISPs' servers.

Fetchmail can set the SMTP "RCPT" header appropriately. Just configure it
for multidrop mode: there's advice on this in the fetchmail documentation
and FAQ, including a few examples.

It supports a number of ways to find the header information:

    a) Special headers, like the Envelope-To: that exim adds.
    b) The *env command (I think only demon provide this though)
    c) Parsing the received headers, if they include the necessary
        information.
    d) The To: or Cc: headers (not recommended).

That, together with an alias file, would seem to be a much neater way of
doing this than using any filtering at all (although you may in future want
filtering for various other reasons, of course).