[exim] Re: Exim4 smarthost troubles

Top Pagina
Auteur: Ian Z via Exim-users
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: [exim] Re: Exim4 smarthost troubles
On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 04:51:30PM -0700, Eric Kingston via Exim-users wrote:

> I am having trouble getting exim to authenticate to a SMTP relay. I
> have made the appropriate entry in passwd.client as per the manual,
> but am using the wildcard (*) considering the reverse DN lookup
> implications. I have configured the appropriate smarthost options.
> I have followed all of the configuration guides I can find, yet exim
> still refuses to authenticate to my SMTP relay. The SMTP relay
> keeps coming back with an authentication error. I have even tried
> using exim -v <email address> and followed through with the FROM and
> SUBJECT. I can see the communication between my server and the SMTP
> relay and do not see any authentication being sent, yielding the
> "Please authenticate first." error message. I am using Ubuntu 22.04
> and Exim 4.95. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I might
> be doing wrong?

Looks like client_condition on the authenticators is not satisfied?

This is often or even traditionally configured as

${if def:tls_out_cipher}

which leads me to suspect your connection to the relay is plaintext
contrary to your expectation.

BTW, the passwd.client file is specific to the Debian style of
configuration. It may benefit you to read the upstream Exim doc to see
how the Debian and upstream mechanisms relate.

--
Ian