著者: Evgeniy Berdnikov
To: exim-users
題目: [exim] Re: locking et al.
On Mon, Feb 05, 2024 at 03:01:03PM +0000, graeme vetterlein via Exim-users wrote:
> BTW this came to my attention while debugging a maildrop setup I noted it
> using flock(2) I also note it can use dot-lock files. Now fetchmail,
> maildrop, exmim4, procmail etc all work together in many combinations , so
> I'm sure this is a "solved problem" but I can't see any explicit references
> to it anywhere.

Fetchmail, exim and procmail run independently, within their own workspaces,
they have no concurency. The only point of concurency is access to mailbox,
controlled by maildrop, and it is properly protected by maildrop's locks.

However, if you want to serialize deliveries behind of maildrop (assuming
that only one maildrop process allowed to run, globally or per-mailbox),
you can use procmail as a wrapper to maildrop with procmail's builtin
dot-locking. Procmail package has also "lockfile" utility for external
locking, it can be called from Exim (via ${run..}).
--
Eugene Berdnikov