[exim] Re: Difficulty getting Exim Address rewriting working…

Top Pagina
Auteur: Michael Lueck
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: [exim] Re: Difficulty getting Exim Address rewriting working on Ubuntu Linux
Greetings again,

Michael Lueck wrote:

>> So I changed my rules on the test VM system to:
>>

>> begin rewrite
>> root@*                                             realemailaddress@???   Eh
>> *@hostname*                                        realemailaddress@???   Eh
>> *@*subdomain*                                      realemailaddress@???   Eh
>>

>> And these rewrite rules worked with the command line test, and then sending real test emails.
>

> Actually, upon further testing.... seems that just the root@* rule finally works. The rest do not.
>
> I switched out root@ for another valid account on the server, and then had the full @hostname.subdomain.realdomain.com and neither of the hostname nor subdomain rules would fire. I tested them in the
> VM having only one rewrite rule active at a time, then used the command line tester interface of Exim.
>
> Perhaps did I still misunderstand about Exim address rewriting rule syntax?

I have read through the Exim Address Rewriting documentation now several times.
https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-address_rewriting.html

Right here is a similar example rewrite rule:

7. Rewriting examples
Here is an example of the two common rewriting paradigms:

*@*.hitch.fict.example

That has a wild card as the address side and a wild card in the host side of the address. It looks very similar to the rules I am attempting.

I do not understand what I am doing incorrectly that Exim will not rewrite the host side of the email addresses. Please kindly explain.

I have tried the above, and also tweaked slightly to this syntax:

begin rewrite
root@*                                             realemailaddress@???   Eh
*@hostname.*                                       realemailaddress@???   Eh
*@*.subdomain.*                                    realemailaddress@???   Eh

The host side rewrite rules fail to rewrite. Why?

I am thankful,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems