[exim] Re: I suspect this is a simple queation

Author: Cyborg
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: I suspect this is a simple queation
Am 02.07.23 um 19:16 schrieb john via Exim-users:
> It is true that the server does not offer TLS support and I do not
> expect it
> to!
>
> The question is why the new machine is different despite running the same
> exim binary and identical conf ecxcept for the primary_hostname and
> how do I
> fix it?

I'm pretty sure, it's not identically.

The Transport used will have a sense of privacy, as we have the year
2023, and not 1980 anymore.

You will find something like this in the transport:

hosts_require_tls = *
tls_tempfail_tryclear = false

Change it to:

tls_tempfail_tryclear = true

or better, invest some time in configuring your other devices for tls
usage by:

creating a cert for your host
and adding:

tls_advertise_hosts = *
tls_certificate = /etc/pki/tls/certs/exim.pem
tls_privatekey = /etc/pki/tls/private/exim.pem

to your main section. Cleartext communication is obsolete and default
configs around the globe will reflect this, even if it's your own
private lan and just technical reports. As you can see, it's simple to
setup. The only crux is, that need to recreate the cert from time to time.

best regards,
Marius