[exim] I suspect this is a simple queation

Author: john
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] I suspect this is a simple queation
Subject: I suspect this is a simple queation

but I am getting nowhere with it.

I have a small LAN of LINUX (OPNSuse and Debian) and Adroiud mobile
devices.
The Debian machine is a mail server as well as other suff like on the
internet. The main problem is on a new computer I recently added to the
LAN. All the OpenSuse computers run exim and send mail to the server for
delivery or sending. This has been running for years with a basic simple
conf file using

send_to_smart_host:
         driver = manualroute
         route_list = !+local_domains 172.16.4.42
         transport = remote_smtp

This works as I hope on all the relevant computers except the new one
which
reports

2023-07-02 17:32:17 1qFzzF-0001iu-Vv == root@??? R=smarthost
T=smarthost_smtp defer (-38) H=172.16.4.42 [172.16.4.42]: a TLS session is
required, but the server did not offer TLS support

It is true that the server does not offer TLS support and I do not expect
it
to!

The question is why the new machine is different despite running the same
exim binary and identical conf ecxcept for the primary_hostname and how do
fix it?

With apologies for my stupidity

==John ffitch