[exim] Re: Completely remove any name in From: header for in…

Author: Victor Ustugov
To: Slavko via Exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: Completely remove any name in From: header for inbound email?
Slavko via Exim-users wrote on 27.05.2023 02:19:
> Dňa 26. mája 2023 22:04:42 UTC používateľ Victor Ustugov via Exim-users <exim-users@???> napísal:
>
>> Or was your question about MTA features for your personal use only?
>
> No, that was rhetorical questions ;-)
>
>> It would be nice if everyone used your MUA or my MUA. But that doesn't
>> happen in real life. I would consider the worst case scenarios as well.
>
> The MUAs are not as important, as they are as people -- can
> do strange things ;-)

Agree.

> More important is, that this header passes the header_syntax
> and header_sender verify, thus one can expect that all exim's
> expansions can do its job with it and will provide reliable output.
> But as you clearly show, that it is not case of ${address:...}.

Yes, in this case ${addresses:...} is a better variant than ${address:...}

> As From: header can contain multiple addresses (by definition),
> it can be more appropriate to use ${addresses:...} and it works,
> as Jeremy shown. But in this case it contains only one address
> string (while not RFC compliant).

If all adresses are valid, than ${addresses:...} will return them all.
It remains only to replace the list separator before adding a new
heading from.
But if one the addresses is like `postmaster@???
<charles@???>`, it will be skipped.

But more than one address in a From header is rare. And if there are
several such incorrect addresses in the From header of the attacker's
email, then it's good that at least one of them can be extracted using a
simple regular expression.

--
Best wishes Victor Ustugov
mailto:victor@corvax.kiev.ua