Re: [exim-dev] SASL error message

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] SASL error message
On 26/04/2023 13:18, Peter Rindfuss via Exim-dev wrote:
> I use Debian 11 Exim 4.94.2 (exim4-daemon-heavy), which has Cyrus SASL support compiled in. My configuration does not use any SASL features, though. Since I installed some SASL components for reasons unrelated to Exim, I see the following error messages in auth.log for every received message:
>
> ... exim4: ldapdb_canonuser_plug_init() failed in sasl_canonuser_add_plugin(): invalid parameter supplied
> ... exim4: _sasl_plugin_load failed on sasl_canonuser_init for plugin: ldapdb
>
> This causes no problems, but I still wonder why it happens. Exim, in my opinion, should not try to initialize anything that is not used.

None of the strings "ldapdb_canonuser_plug_init", "_sasl_plugin_load" or
"sasl_plugin_load" appear in the current exim git head. While I've
not checked 4.94 release explicitly, I don't recognize them either.

I don't know why they've turned up in the exim binary.

I'd suggest taking the question to Debian bugs.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy