Re: [exim] Proxy smtp connections to multiple Exim servers b…

Author: Sebastian Arcus
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Proxy smtp connections to multiple Exim servers behind proxy
On 16/04/2023 11:04, Paul Muster via Exim-users wrote:
> On 15.04.23 21:54, Sebastian Arcus via Exim-users wrote:
>
>> The "back-end" machines are physical machines, on regular
>> ADSL/VDSL/cable/fibre connections at various locations.
>
>> At the moment they send directly to the internet, which requires a
>> static IP and PTR record.
>
>> To solve all of the above issues, I am looking into essentially
>> diverting all the outgoing and incoming smtp traffic of these servers
>> through a single gateway server, which will be a vps/cloud server.
>
> Well, that's off-topic on the Exim-list, but maybe a VPN solution would
> fit better. Put three additional static IPv4 addresses and IPv6 /64 on
> the VPS, build a Wireguard VPN between the VPS and the Exim servers and
> use the VPS as a "proxy" on IP level.

Indeed , that is another option. It would imply purchasing additional IP
addresses for every single back-end machine I want to add to the setup,
and the current VPS provider doesn't not allow that - and then I would
have to move elsewhere, which would further increase costs. But yes, it
should work.